Re: bluescreen during XF86/cygwin build

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Cook" <dcook@caveduck.com>
To: <cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com>; <cygwin@cygwin.com>
Sent: Sunday, May 27, 2001 2:54 PM
Subject: Re: bluescreen during XF86/cygwin build

> Chris Faylor wrote:
> > With an OS like W2K there is really no way that Cygwin should be
able to
> > cause a blue screen.  If it does, it's an OS bug, not a Cygwin bug.
>
> You can't necessarily just tell the customer "it's Microsoft's
problem".
> I'm a veteran of those wars...we did an NT server product a couple of
years
> back that ran into a Win32 call that leaked ~1KB of nonpaged memory
every
> time you used it in a certain perfectly legal way.  Not harmful for
normal apps,
> but fatal for a server that wanted to run for weeks.

That's exactly why more customers are moving to open source os's. Not
because a specific software vendor has buggy code, but because they want
confidence that the whole problem is transparent and fixable.

> From a customer centric view, if I can run command X on a normally
configured
> Linux box and it works, but the same supposedly supported command
fails in
> Cygwin, then it's a Cygwin problem (though perhaps technically not a
Cygwin bug).

Only for the briefest glance (helicopter view!). Customers do understand
the concept of external dependencies - in the business world that is a
huge chunk of risk management. The simple fact is that risk, in a
source-transparent software world is easier to manage than in a
non-transparent world. So I think any customer will understand that
things may not run _with_ Cygwin, without it being a "Cygwin problem".

Thats not to say that we're not interested in working around a MS bug...
Thus my first question of "where did it crash". You might like to
install the MS debug symbols.

Rob