French keyboard

Hello,

I have a Windows Millenium computer bought in France and which has a
French keyboard and a French version of the operating system.
However, I am mostly using an external American keyboard.

I just downloaded Cygwin to my computer and the resulting shell echoes
French (azerty) characters. After some investigation, I have found that
the DOS command window is also always in AZERTY, despite control panel
settings to QWERTY. Thus, one concludes that Cygwin applies the default
DOS window.

Therefore, how do I convert the Cygwin window to QWERTY, or equivalently,
the DOS window to QWERTY?

I looked at the mailing list, but I couldn't find the relevant information.
I am also trying to minimize my knowledge of MS-DOS.

Thanks,

-ilan