RE: 1.3.2 Catch-22 in tmpnam/tmpfile with gcc -mno-cygwin

Charles is right.
John, the behavior you're describing is exactly how it's documented in the MSDN.
However, you can set the TMP environment variable to your preferred location to override this behavior.
TMP is unset in /etc/profile so maybe you can comment out the corresponding line there. But doing so might eventually affect other programs.

Karsten