header files and FILE struct

I'm trying to port a unix application to cygwin, and I have two big questions:

1) When do I use the mingw header files, and when do I use the regular header files?  For example, there are two copies of stdio.h, one in /usr/include/mingw and one in /usr/include, and both are different.  Also, values.h is only in mingw, and the application wants this header file--is it safe to include it as <mingw/values.h>?

2) The application makes use of FILE struct internals, but these are not defined in stdio.h.  How do I work around the FILE->_IO_read_ptr and FILE->_IO_read_base usage?  It looks like cygwin uses some __sFILE structure instead of the _IO_FILE struct from linux.

The application compiles and runs fine on linux.