Nothing compiles

I have downloaded and installed the latest version of cygwin three
times and I am unable to get anything to compile. I have followed
the directions but am having troubles under Windows 2000 Professional.

A popup window (cpp0.exe) says: The procedure entry point getrlimit
could not be located in the dynamic link library cygwin1.dll

In the configure dialog I get the grave warning while trying to compile
the included postgres source:
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler
cannot create executables.

Please advise.

Doug.
begin:vcard