Re: Latest vim not working with latest mutt

On Mon, Jun 18, 2001 at 07:05:07AM +0000, Olaf Foellinger wrote:
>On Fri, Jun 15, 2001 at 01:02:09PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> On Fri, Jun 15, 2001 at 04:58:36PM +0000, Olaf Foellinger wrote:
>> >
>> >Thanks, that helped. But gzess how many times the snapshots crashed my
>> >system... :(
>>
>> If snapshots are "crashing your system" then there is something wrong
>> with your system.  There is no way that cygwin1.dll should be able
>> to crash a Win2k system.
>
>Generally I agree with you, a simple process shouldn't crash the system.
>But my experiences with cygwn are a bit different. E.g. I start a bash
>from the autstart folder but when I log out from W2K SP1 the system
>hangs with a message that bash refuses to close.

That is not the system hanging.  You can kill the bash process and continue.
It is also not "the system crashing".

>And with the earlier snapshots from late may I've had a dump when I
>tried to mail from mutt first in bash and then the complete system did
>hang or was so slow that I did a hard reset.

Again, there is something wrong with your system then.  If you kill bash
and mutt and your system is still affected then you have a faulty
system.

Cygwin is not some kind of privileged device driver which can do strange
things to the operation of your system.  It is a DLL.  It uses the Win32
API to accomplish all of its magic.  It operates at user level.  For this
reason, it cannot screw up a correctly functioning WinNT or W2K system.

>With a later snapshot from June it works now more or less (this morning
>there was a small problem with saving the incoming mailbox).

I assume that you have provided a detailed bug report on your problems to
this list?

It still sounds like your system is screwed up to me, but you never know.

cgf