ssh wanting to add known_host entries into /home/$user

Hello, I'm running sshd on windows 2000. I changed the $HOME= variable from
/home/$user to a mount I have for the c drive which looks like this.
/mnt/c/Documents and Settings/$USER.  The bash shell works great with this
and will dump me into C:\Documents and Settings\$USER, however the ssh
client keeps wanting to use /home/$user/.ssh to put it's stuff into. Isn't
it using the $HOME env variable to decide where the users home is?

One note, I can type cd <enter> and have bash take me to my homedirectory,
but if I type cd $HOME, I get...

can't change directory to /mnt/c/Documents, which looks like the spaces in
the variable may be causing some problems and ssh defaults to /home?

Any ideas?