RE: two problems with cygwin's zip

> From: Fred T. Hamster [mailto:fred@gruntose.com]
> Subject: Re: two problems with cygwin's zip
>   the first problem (of seeing absolute paths in zips) occurs
> when using
> forward slashes as well.  it's an absolute path issue rather than a
> slash-handedness issue.  thus, this is still a bug relevant
> to cygwin's
> zip, even if we must discount slash issues in paths.  but i don't
> suggest that we abandon those issues...
 This is the way 'zip' works. It is not a bug and it has nothing to do with
cygwin.  Take it up with the 'zip' authors.
 Actually I think 'zip' could use a few more options for path handling but
the cygwin list is not the place to address this.

>   it seems pretty disturbing to me that a unix emulation environment
> running under ms-windows would have many problems parsing
> ms-dos paths.
 It would disturb me a lot more if programs broke because somebody insists
on confusing windows with unix.

>  i realize the intrinsic difficulties with the backslash as an escape
> character, but i also am aware that many of the tools i use at the
> office are really psyched about generating the backslash as the path
> separator.  if the cygwin tools are unable to handle those generated
> paths, then that signficantly detracts from my ability to work with
> cygwin on the ms-windows platforms.
 Why are you using cygwin zip?  The native zip.exe should handle this
properly.