RE: Patch: Bug: Shell fork/exec avoidance in make-3.79.1-3

Sorry for the confusion; it appears I was using the source for
make-3.79.1-2, not -3, and in -2 the ifdefs in job.c were a bit different,
so that the first ifdef read:

#ifdef WIN32_OR_CYGWIN

and thus all was working OK... It was partly my fault (and partly due to
working a bit late yesterday evening), partly due to an obvious regression
in -3 compared to -2. In fact I was even once more puzzled how well broken
code can work: I would have expected a more brutal error (like a DrWatson
popup) for a variable being used in one part of the code as a pointer and in
another as an array of chars.

In fact the code in -2 was correct as the "char*" definition in main.c was
only present on CYGWIN and MSDOS, two cases where it was correctly defined
as char* in job.c. But of course, defining ALL default_shell as "char*" is
The Right Thing (TM).

> >If you look at my previous message (posted about in paralell
> with your),
> >you'll see that just recompiling the code without any change
> allow me to get
> >a working make. I suspect your change (that does nothing on
> CYGWIN) is just
> >exercising the same behaviour. IMHO it's just the cygwin
> package that was
> >compiled in a buggy environment.
>
> I build make on linux, like all of my packages.  To the best
> of my knowledge,
> I have never had a corrupted environment.  I build everything
> in a standard
> way using standard scripts.  If I detect an error, I correct
> the script.

I can understand this; in fact I'm working exactly in the same way (although
for mingw32) and was only compiling natively under cygwin for the first time
since several years for these tests yesterday.

> >IIRC it happens some time ago to Corinna to have a
> screwed-up environment
> >that generated a working bash that shows a bug that disapear
> after she
> >updates its environment. I suspect the make maintainer have
> (or had) the
> >same problem...
>
> I suspect that your suspicion is wrong.

Sure it it :-) Anyway, if I had noticed that you were the cygwin make
maintainer I would have not suspected this but better looked at MY
environment (that in fact WAS a bit broken because I was using a version
that was too old to show the bug...).

In fact that shows a small problem with the 'patch' level of tools: there is
no way when you look at the source code or at the executable to know which
patch level you are using: both say 3.79.1, with no patch level ;-( With the
installed tool, you can look in the update.db file, but for the source...

Anyway as this is corrected, all is fine and I must congrat all those that
find the problem.

	Bernard

> cgf
>
> --