Re: Rxvt vs. command.com as standard cygwin window

At 6/28/01 10:17 PM (Thursday), you wrote:
>Axel,
>
>Here's the shortcut I use to launch rxvt:
>
>...\bin\rxvt.exe -g 120x99+732+0 -bg #000055 -fg #eeeeee -fn "Lucida
>Console-11" -sr -sl 5000 -vb -e /bin/bash --login -i
>
>Lucida Console makes the 1 / l (one / ell) distinction quite clear.
>
>I use the visual bell (-vb) option with rxvt since sending an ASCII BEL /
>007 / ^G to an rxvt window does not generate any sound (on my system).
>
>This is the shortcut I use to launch a console window:
>
>...\cygwin\bin\bash.exe --login -i

As another possibility (which I use) "rxvt.exe . . . . . (like above) -e
/bin/login [myname]"
IOW, let login.exe start my shell as it would on a real *Nix.  This also
should let me select a different shell  by editing /etc/passwd.
My original reason was that this also solves all the problems about being
identified as "Administrator".

Warning, if you like different shells: some of them have requirements about
environment variables that you might need to accomodate in AUTOEXEC.BAT.

>In this case, since the target is a console application, not a GUI one,
>the font, colors and window size are set in the appropriate tabs of the
>shortcut Properties dialog. The built-in system speaker (not my sound
>card) produces a beep when a BEL is output.
>
>I can see no reason to involve CMD or COMMAND or to use RUN in the process
>of getting a Cygwin shell going. I don't know if this is suitable under
>Windows 9x or ME, but for NT and 2K, it works fine.
>
>I keep these shortcuts in my quick-start bar (now that I use Windows
>2K--under NT I assigned keyboard equivalents).
>
>Randall Schulz
>Mountain View, CA USA
>

>At 18:31 2001-06-28, Axel Boldt wrote:
>>I think that a shortcut to something like
>>
>>   run rxvt -e C:\cygwin\cygwin.bat
>>   (or putting the call to rxvt into cygwin.bat)
>>
>>would be preferable to the current command.com /c cygwin.bat shortcut
>>because:
>>
>>    * rxvt has scrollbars
>>    * rxvt allows for decent cut and paste
>>    * rxvt allows resizing of the window
>>
>>Rxvt's current standard font should be changed however since it doesn't
>>distinguish between 1 and l.
>>
>>The only disadvantage I can see is that rxvt is not as familiar as
>>command.com to people new to Unix. But those people are in trouble anyway :-)
>>
>>Axel
>

>--

David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate, All around nice guy.
Get my PGP key at
:<http://pgpkeys.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=superbiskit>
Fingerprint=0x{6E3E_DB8C_2E8C_4248_62B2_FE29_08EE_CF0A_3629_E954}
:<http://wwwkeys.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=superbiskit&fingerprint=on>
"By God's Grace I am a Christian man, by my actions a great sinner."
--The Way of a Pilgrim, R. M. French [tr.]
Potentially Viral Software is any software for which you are not allowed
to examine the source.  Do not buy or use Potentially Viral Software!