Re: error starting cron on nt4

On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 04:08:54PM +0000, Erik Bak-Mikkelsen wrote:
> >   cygrunsrv -I cron -p /usr/sbin/cron -a -D -e "CYGWIN=<your settings>"
> >
> Great, and thanks, this solved the install and run problem of the cron daemon.
> Now the service is installed under the SYSTEM account.
> However, my crontab under another userid
> */1 * * * * /cygdrive/mydrive/notepad.exe
> gives an error in the EventLog saying
> The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( /USR/SBIN/CRON )
> could not be found. It contains the following insertion string(s):
> /USR/SBIN/CRON : Win32 Process Id = 0x162 : Cygwin Process
> Id = 0x162 : (CRON) error (can't switch user context).

It's very likely that your /etc/passwd isn't setup correctly.
All users must be setup correctly in /etc/passwd. Use mkpasswd
to generate correct /etc/passwd entries.

Also you should use ntsec since that is recommended (and required
in future releases of Cygwin) to switch user context without password
as cron does.

> Now, I think I have read something about running cron under diiferent users but I can't figure out what it was. Maybe a limitation in NT?

Don't start cron other than under SYSTEM account using uid 18.
Switching user context needs various user rights only given to
SYSTEM by default. If you won't do that you'll have to rebuild
cron using other values.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.