Re: error starting cron on nt4

> On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 04:08:54PM +0000, Erik Bak-Mikkelsen wrote:
> > >   cygrunsrv -I cron -p /usr/sbin/cron -a -D -e "CYGWIN=<your settings>"
> > >
> > Great, and thanks, this solved the install and run problem of the cron daemon.
> > Now the service is installed under the SYSTEM account.
> > However, my crontab under another userid
> > */1 * * * * /cygdrive/mydrive/notepad.exe
> > gives an error in the EventLog saying
> > The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( /USR/SBIN/CRON )
> > could not be found. It contains the following insertion string(s):
> > /USR/SBIN/CRON : Win32 Process Id = 0x162 : Cygwin Process
> > Id = 0x162 : (CRON) error (can't switch user context).
>
> It's very likely that your /etc/passwd isn't setup correctly.
> All users must be setup correctly in /etc/passwd. Use mkpasswd
> to generate correct /etc/passwd entries.
I did an
 mkpasswd -l >/etc/passwd
 mkpasswd -g >/etc/group
But I have found some postings and informations on necessary manual edit
afterwards? Is that necessary at all? The group membership "None" is fine
with me.

> Also you should use ntsec since that is recommended (and required
> in future releases of Cygwin) to switch user context without password
> as cron does.
Please, could You elaborate on using ntsec? The only configuratioon I have
made is CYGWIN=ntsec
But is that sufficeient? At least, now it seems that cron is executing each minut as I expect but still it gives the
... Id = 0x162 : (CRON) error (can't switch user context).
errors in the EventLog.
What could be causing this remembering my simple ntsec setting?

> > Now, I think I have read something about running cron under diiferent users but I can't figure out what it was. Maybe a limitation in NT?
>
> Don't start cron other than under SYSTEM account using uid 18.
> Switching user context needs various user rights only given to
> SYSTEM by default. If you won't do that you'll have to rebuild
> cron using other values.
Fair. I didn't express my self clearly. Sure I run the cron daemon under
SYSTEM. But what I meant was that my crontab belongs to another user.