Re: CYGWIN1.DLL

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 17, 2001 at 02:39:33PM +0200, Chris Wenk wrote:
> > How can I distribute then an executable without the
> > cygwin1.dll ?
>
> You can't. And why would you like to do that?
(snip)

SPOILER: I'm not asking for a change!

One example:  I've written a small utility to pass a specialized
message-format between UDP and the PC's serial port.  Its distribution
is entirely within our company.

I currently have both the application and the .dll checked in to our CM
tools under "utils", so that folks can run it without having cygwin
installed on their PC.

Only a few of us have cygwin installed, but there is a potential
conflict problem with having two cygwin1.dll files, if the CM'd version
lags or leads the version on any given developer's desktop.  Thus far,
the cygwin users here are a) mostly knowledgeable enough to deal with
the issue, and b) few enough that I can support them if the conflict
ocurred.

I'm not saying that there should be a way to create a statically linked
cygwin executable.  Doing so would certainly allow, and possibly
encourage, widespread license violations.  But, I did want to point out
that there are good reasons for desiring a statically linked executable
that are not in violation of the cygwin license.

Eric