Re: CYGWIN1.DLL

On Tue, Jul 17, 2001 at 10:09:49AM -0700, Eric M. Monsler wrote:
>But, I did want to point out that there are good reasons for desiring a
>statically linked executable that are not in violation of the cygwin
>license.

I don't think I've seen a good reason for this in this thread.

The fact that you could have two disparate versions of the cygwin DLL
on your system is not, in any way, an argument for a statically linked
cygwin.  Conflicts between two versions of cygwin have nothing to
do with the DLLness of Cygwin.

I am sure that there are probably some good reasons for a statically
linked cygwin.  I'm equally sure that it is unlikely to ever happen
since all that we ever hear is from users who want developers to
make this available for them.  Since I'm not aware of any developer
for whom this is an issue, it isn't likely to ever happen.

I'd probably be reluctant to make the functionality available anyway
for the reasons that Corinna mentions.

cgf