RE: Threaded Cygwin Python Import Problem

Yup. Which I helpfully got rid of in my rewrite :-/. Actually there was
no fixup-after-fork routine at that point in tie, but there was a fixed
size array. Sounds like we'll need a thread safe linked list like the
MTInterface::destructors list I created for pthread_atfork().

> But thinking of forking a threaded process makes my head hurt ;-)
> So, can I be so bold as to ask a few questions ?? I know I can
> discern the answers by RTFS, but it would help to hear the answer
> from an authoritative source, and maybe save a little research
> along the way...

RTFS would help :]. But RTFSuSv2 would help more :].

> In a threaded process, when fork() is issued, are all the threads
> created in the new process, or just the thread that did the fork ?

The thread that forked. No other threads are duplicated.

> I'd guess the latter; what if a separate thread owned a lock and
> was doing it's thing ? then you wouldn't want the new process to
> do the same thing thinking it owned the lock too ?  In our
> application,

pthread_atfork() is a fork syncronisation routine that allows pthreaded
applications to prepare for fork() (ie wait for all locks to be
cleared); and then run after-fork-in-parent and after-fork-in-child
code.

> that we discussed the other day, we had a problem in 98/me where
> fork failed issued by a non-main thread, but all it wanted to do
> was asynchrously issue a shell command; it might be catastrophic if
> the threaded environment was replicated...

It's not - so no problemo.

Rob