problem with tar -xvzf and permissions on W2K

OK, I cleaned up after by debacle last night improperly removing Cygwin,
and got it reinstalled properly.  Now, a new problem starting from scratch.

Previously, I have been using a native Windows unzipper to extract binary
packages into my Cygwin directory.  It has always worked properly, but I
decided it's probably a bad idea because of possible issues
permission/attribute bits and shortcuts.  Funny enough, I have only had
problems now that I've tried to use tar from the Cygwin command prompt.

In this case, from the Cygwin root, I tried to extract the Cygipc package
using tar -xvzf ...  In all cases where a new directory was created, files
were not extracted into it because of permission errors.  When I checked
the Windows permissions on these folders, I found that ownership had been
assigned to "Administrator", not "Administrators", permissions were
incorrectly for "Everyone", and permissions for a non-existent user called
"None" were added.

After hunted through the whole directory tree, and fixed the permissions on
about 10 different directories, I was able to extract the package just fine
using Power Archiver for Windows.  I was afraid to try with tar again
because I don't know if the file permissions would come out mangled like
those of the directories were.