Untangling security - W2K on NT domain

Scenario:

Installed on a Windows 2K workstation and member of an NT 4 domain.

Using an account on the domain added to Administrators group on
workstation, but merely a regular user on the domain.

Problem:

In the groups file, 513 is "None".  I thought that was only supposed to
happen on a workgroup system.

Untarring files with tar -xvzf fails miserably (as same user as described
above).  Permissions are set wrong on new directories, and extract fails on
files destined for those directories because of inadequate permissions.

It would seem that I need to fix my /etc/passwd and/or /etc/group files,
but I don't understand them well enough to know what to do.  What do I need
to do here