Re: backslash difference in NTEmacs/CygWin in compile buffer

At 7/18/01 09:08 PM (Wednesday), Jonadab the Unsightly One wrote:

># In NTEmacs with CygWin bash, if I do M-x compile RET and give a command of
># "echo \x \\x \\\x", I get a result of "x x \x".
>#
># In Emacs on Linux bash, if I do M-x compile RET and give a command of
># "echo \x \\x \\\x", I get a result of "x \x \x", as expcted.
>[...]
># Any ideas where to look?
>
>This *may* have to do with the way NTEmacs invokes whatever
>shell you use (using, I _think_, cmdproxy.exe or somesuch),
>although the Emacs internals are really beyond me.  But
>that is one possible place to look.  Can you reproduce
>the behavior with another shell (say, command.com or
>cmd.exe) in an Emacs shell buffer?  Or is it bash specific?
>(I realise the quoting would have to be different to
>work with another shell, but what I'm getting at here is
>whether Emacs is eating the quoting before it gets to bash
>or whatever.)
>
>It might also be interesting to test with a non-Cygwin
>Windows port of bash, to verify whether that makes any
>difference.  I believe there is a DJGPP port of bash
>that should be able to run in Windows.

on Xemacs-21.4.3 + bash (same bash, different emacs):

: Bash $ echo \x\\x\\\x
x\x\x

: Bash $

ergo, GNU Emacs is doing this, not bash.

>--
>Your font seems to be:    proportional     fixed
>                                              ^
>
>(Fontmeter only accurate for about 90% of fonts.)
>
>--

David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate, All around nice guy.
Get my PGP key at
:<http://pgpkeys.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=superbiskit>
Fingerprint=0x{6E3E_DB8C_2E8C_4248_62B2_FE29_08EE_CF0A_3629_E954}
:<http://wwwkeys.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=superbiskit&fingerprint=on>
"By God's Grace I am a Christian man, by my actions a great sinner."
--The Way of a Pilgrim, R. M. French [tr.]
Potentially Viral Software is any software for which you are not allowed
to examine the source.  Do not buy or use Potentially Viral Software!