RE: ghostscript 6.51-1: ps2pdf, pdfwrite problem

Bonjour:

I can reproduce this behaviour on my computer (Win98) as well:
1] to workaround, we can compose with pdflatex instead of latex (I guess you must know that part of the story);
2] the trouble disappear if I use `gswin32c.exe' (nevertheless I do not recommend to use it): the problem comes from `gs';
3] I have similar trouble when I try to use the TeX/Perl package `thumbpdf' (which use `gs') with MetaPost output (PS): all silently works fine, but the pdflatex output is corrupted in that I cannot read it with acrobat reader. The important point here is that I didn't encounter this problem with my former cygwin native `gs' (built myself): a rapid check of the current gs source let me think that the trouble comes from the fact the current source use the jpeg stuff distributed with cygwin in contrast with ghostscrip recommendation (they recommand to build with the jpeg source) that I had followed to build my native gs.
Can anyone confirm it ?
4] what is `start' ?

I hope that helps,
Jerome BENOIT