cygrunsrv and .bat files??

Hi, I'm attempting to turn a 2 line batch file of mine into a service on
NT/2000.

The batch file runs as expected stand-alone.

I can daemonize it using FireDaemon, and it works as expected.  (I'd like to
ultimately not use FireDaemon due to licencing reasons, however.)

Apparently it installs as a service using "cygrunsrv -I SomeService -p
c:\path\to\app\file.bat", but when I try to start it it pauses for several
seconds then dies with "error 1062: can't start service".  This is using
both "cygrunsrv -S SomeService" and "net start SomeService". A reboot made
no difference.

I thought maybe it was a path problem, so I copied cygrunsrv.exe and
cygwin1.dll into the same directory as the batch file, and tried it from
there.  I also copied the batch file into the / of my Cygwin installation,
and ran cygrunsrv from the /bin folder.  No difference either way.

Also, I don't think the readme mentioned an option for setting "interact
with desktop".  Is there one?? (doesn't affect me, I tried enabling that
manually with the created service, didn't help)

Is cygrunsrv capable of handling batch files or is it only capable of
handling executables??

If this won't work (rather than I've screwed it up ;), are there other free
{beer|speech} srvany replacements for NT and 2000 out there??

Thanks,
Glenn