RE: help!

gcc is doing the right thing.  you don't want
gcc to be trying to search for includes in /usr.
It is trying to include from /usr/include
as is proper, in other words.

> $mount
> c:\cygwin\usr\include on /usr type user <textmode>
> c:\cygwin\usr\include on /lib type user <textmode>
> C:\cygwin\bin on /usr/bin type system <binmode>
> C:\cygwin\bin on /usr/lib type system <binmode>
> C:\cygwin on / type system <binmode>
> c: on /cygdrive/c type user <binmode, noumount>
> s: on /cygdrive/s type user <binmode, noumount>
> u: on /cygdrive/u type user <binmode, noumount>

Your mount points are wrong.  Did you change them
at all?  That doesn't look like the standard
setup that cygwin's setup.exe creates.

Specifically, based on the mount list you sent,
if you do the following I would think it would
start working:

$ cd /bin
$ umount /usr
$ umount /lib
$ umount /usr/lib
$ mount C:\\cygwin\\lib /usr/lib
$ mount
C:\cygwin\bin on /usr/bin type system <binmode>
C:\cygwin\lib on /usr/lib type system <binmode>
C:\cygwin on / type system <binmode>
c: on /cygdrive/c type user <binmode, noumount>
s: on /cygdrive/s type user <binmode, noumount>
u: on /cygdrive/u type user <binmode, noumount>

Then /usr/include will map to c:\cygwin\usr\include
and /usr/lib will map to c:\cygwin\lib
as it should.  And your problems should go away.

Or re-run setup so it can re-create your mount points
correctly.  Which is probably the safest bet all
the way around.  And don't change the mounts
that cygwin creates.  And don't add new ones
like /usr unless you are really sure it is in
your best interest ;->

If setup is creating the mount points incorrectly
as you've shown below, please let the list know
because that might be a bug.

Troy

My mount points look like the following:

$mount
c:\cygwin\usr\include on /usr type user <textmode>
c:\cygwin\usr\include on /lib type user <textmode>
C:\cygwin\bin on /usr/bin type system <binmode>
C:\cygwin\bin on /usr/lib type system <binmode>
C:\cygwin on / type system <binmode>
c: on /cygdrive/c type user <binmode, noumount>
s: on /cygdrive/s type user <binmode, noumount>
u: on /cygdrive/u type user <binmode, noumount>

I tried "gcc --verbose hello.c -o hello" and found the
following: