what I need to build a DLL

Big Hello

This posting is intended for all people that are very experienced in making
 DLLs for Windows under CygWin.

I basically use the CygWin environment to make Win32 executables. This
means that I take little of POSIX and much of MinGW 1.0 . I did include MinGW on my own. And thanks to the mailings from the cygwin archive and all the FAQs I achieved a working -mno-cygwin switch for Cygwin GCC.

My first experience in making DLLs was wxWindows which went fully without harm.

Now I have to compile DLL's by myself since I'm participating in the ROOT
cross platform framework. I am the only person who wants to compile ROOT for
Win32 without the MSVC compiler, and only using Cygwin gcc for that.
I have no doubt that the ROOT framework is totally unfamiliar for many people here.

I just want to know the right compiler or linker strategy and new answers to DLLs.
I think I've touched a hot iron that's been on for a long time .. many found posting
even come from 1998.

Please help me if you know where I'm lost.

Regards
Tom Berg

My research comes to several tools:
dllwrap (much experience)
dlltool (inlcuded into above)
libtool (unknown)
g++ -shared (got linker problems in apps using the DLL)
a2dll   (for conversion from .a files to .dll files, not my case)

So far, is g++ -shared fully compatible to dllwrap?

By now the process in ROOT is
-pre-generation of .c and .cxx files
-calculation header dependencies and writing results into .h files
-compilation of .c and .cxx files under a certain platform
-linking the objects to DLLs
-making further software using the DLLs

My problems in  translating the Win32 platform for MSVisualC++ to the Win32
platform Cygwin are:
1 not to change or patch the sources, I can only provide a new Makefile
2 replacing cl from MS to dllwrap from GCC
3 keeping the right Defines (-D...) from MSVC for compiler and linker(?)
4 understanding the whole story about .exp, .def and .dll

Points 1 and 3 are done, next comes 4:
(the text continues after the box)

##>>>

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/binutils/2000-10/msg00040.html