Re: On Cygwin package naming and a setup.exe bug

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> "Why are you giving me a hard time! I'm a free software project!".  Yes,
> we hear this from time to time.  The GPL is a legal binding document.
> If you want to use it, you should be in compliance with it.  You don't
> get to ignore it because you consider yourself "one of the good guys".
> It would be nice if life worked that way, but it doesn't.

Yep.  There ain't no sech thing as a "good guys get-out-of-jail-free"
clause in the GPL.

> It apparently isn't clear to you that "Cygwin's own installation tools"
> were meant to install, um, the cygwin packages from the cygwin web site
> and mirrors.  They don't have accomodations for using other web sites or
> being bundled as part of a larger package.  That is what I was saying
> above.

But remember, setup is open source.  You can grab the sources, modify
them to your heart's content, and distribute THAT version of setup to
install your cygwin-based add-on packages.  (or just name your package
"prc-tools-cygwin-<version>.tar.gz")

BTW, XEmacs did exactly this:  they're using a *heavily* modified
version of cygwin's setup for distributing both the cygwin- and native-
versions of XEmacs (they also have other "shrink-wrap" style installers
for the native XEmacs).

--Chuck