Re: Press for Cygwin

>>Does anyone know how we can adapt the archives so that they are not WinZip
>>readable?  Would just converting everything to .bz2 do that?
>>

> Seems like it.  WinZip 8.0 won't read a cron-3.0.1-4.tar.bz2 file I have.

<soapbox>
Just some comments:  I do fully support the use of bzip2 over gzip because it
compresses better, but I think using it purely to thwart WinZip users would be
a bad reason to do so.  Deliberate limitations compatibility for the sake of
limiting compatibility is something that many people dislike about Microsoft,
and I don't see that it improves anything, ever.  On the other hand, if there
is a legitimate reason to do something, and limiting compatibility is a side
effect, then so be it.  Likewise, while we all appreciate the efficiency of
command-line tools, trying to thwart users of WinZip is kind of elitist, and
for those who have gotten to be called "System Administrators" without
learning much in the way of command line tools, our efforts would be better
spent teaching them to patch their IIS servers before we try to teach them to
use the command line :)
</soapbox>