FW: press for cygwin

I did contact the list.  Had the help of some members.  WinZip was an
acceptable choice at the time.  The packages weren't in bz2 format, and I
don't need symlinks, etc. for the install to work.

> > Couple of quick notes on the thread.
> >
> > 1)  Complete agreement with Jonathon Merz on the WinZip
> thing.  Going to bz2
> > just to thwart WinZip doesn't seem like a good use of
> energy.  Unfortunately
> > at the time I wrote the article bz2 wasn't in use for the
> packages.  WinZip,
> > being the most popular zip tool for Windows, seemed the
> obvious choice for
> > unzipping the cygwin packages.  You wouldn't believe how
> long it takes to
> > get an article printed. :(
>

> But you missed the point of my original response: WinZip creates a
> *broken* installation.  The necessary registry entries are
> not created,
> and many packages contain symlinks which WinZip won't recreate. I'm
> surprised you were able to get it to work at all, when
> installing using
> WinZip.  (You *did* test your own instructions on a clean
> machine, right?)

It's not broken if you're just installing ssh, which is all the article
covers.  Yes, I did test it.

> > 2)  Goes the same for the references to old versions, etc.
> The article's
> > almost a year old now, believe it or not.
>

> Well, that's forgivable, then. :-)
>

> > 3)  Yes I know it's an unsupported install, but I think the
> point was missed
> > here.  Many windows admins won't install the full cygwin
> installation, and
> > most won't have a clue what to do with bash, etc.  The
> point here isn't to
> > exclude people from a great tool, but to help make an
> intermediate step more
> > palatable.  I know many will disagree with this, with
> sentiments along the
> > lines of "They should just learn how to work with it."  I
> disagree.  I think
> > it's worth it to get telnet replaced, in whatever fashion
> that happens.
> > Bashless or not.
>

> The following reference wasn't available "back then" but it is now:
> Michael Erdeley has a nice reference on a minimal ssh/cygwin
> installation.
>
> http://tech.erdeleynet.com/cygwin-sshd.asp

Thanks for the link.  I'm aware of Michael's info.  In fact, I'm on his list
and answer questions from time to time.

> > 4)  The weird "ps &-ef" and "kill &-HUP <PID>" commands are
> not my fault.
> > <whine>  The publisher's somehow managed to screw up some
> of the command
> > lines.  </whine>  They will be corrected soon hopefully.
>

> Yeah, that's what I thought.
>

> > I apologize if I've stepped on some toes with this article.
>  I know that
> > here I'm talking to the folks who are satisfied with the full cygwin
> > install, or are knowledgeable enough about it to install
> the portions
> > necessary without the hand holding.  You aren't the target
> audience for a
> > piece like this.  I hoped to catch those people who are
> largely unaware of
> > cygwin and ssh and maybe give them a push into using it.
> >

> Our main complaint comes from this:  hand holding for newbies
> is a good
> and necessary thing -- but the instructions given need to be
> accurate.
> And if your instructions are wrong, or lead to a broken
> installation --
> *WE* (the cygwin project) get the blame for a "crappy product".  "I
> tried that piece of #@!^ but couldn't get it to work."  etc.
>
> Or, "I followed the instructions at .... and STILL can't get
> cygwin to
> work" messages on the mailing list.
>
> --Chuck

Understood.  Feel free to point them my way.  "He did it."