Re: rxvt.exe

At 18:57 5-9-2001, Mark Himsley wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I hope that this isn't a daft question, or something that I have forgotten
>to do...
>
>I hate cmd.exe and its environment with a passion. I hadn't been using
>Cygwin much because it still lived within the cmd.exe terminal emulator.
>
>Someone on another email list suggested that I should use rxvt which comes
>with Cygwin, so I created a shortcut with the 'Target' of (obviously all
>on one line):
>
>C:\cygwin\bin\rxvt.exe -bg Black -fg White -si -sr -sl 5000 -tn ansi
>-title "Cygwin Bash" -e C:/cygwin/bin/bash.exe --login -i
>
>This starts a very nice rxvt terminal emulator and I am very happy, but if
>I close all of the rxvt's I've had open in a day and log out of Win2K I am
>asked to kill one program with the name like "rxvt000003fc" for every rxvt
>I have started in that way.
>
>Is there a way I can get around this, without having to have any cmd.exe's
>ever appearing on my desktop?

How do you close your rxvts?  By clicking on the [x]?  If so, don't do
that.  :-)
Close them in the normal UNIX way, that is, either exit or ^D on the
command line.
Works fine for me, I'm also using a similar shortcut.

A few random comments on your shortcut:
  * -tn rxvt might give you better terminal emulation
  * rxvt is a Cygwin app, so it expects a posix path - /usr/bin/bash is better.

  - Michael

--
     I always wondered about the meaning of life.   So I looked it
     up in the dictionary under "L" and there it was - the meaning