Bash script permissions

I am running the latest net realease on NT 4 and Win 2k. I am having a
problem limiting, from cygwin, the permissions on a bash script so that only
the owner can execute it.
I finally after much fiddling figured out that with the shebang line in the
script, cygwin immediately thinks it's executable by all. If I try any chmod
affecting it's executable status, it's ignored. How can I work around this?
Also, how can this be worked around on Win9x also, as it is planned to
eventually distribute this script set.

Thanks,
David Monk CCNA. MCSE
david@purplebear.net