Re: [BUG] cygwin-1.3.3-2 -- making auto-import dlls

---- Original Message -----
From: "Christopher Faylor" <cgf@redhat.com>
> The issue here is that a "foreign" DLL is getting loaded into area
that
> cygwin wants to use for its cyheap.  It is immaterial where or if the
> cygwin DLL is relocated.

I *think* I get you. There are *two* similar but not identical issues
with dll relocation. You spoke of one, and I spoke of another.

> As I said, making the cygwin DLL occupy a fixed location would not
solve
> this particular problem.

Yes. I see that now.

> The ld script file issue that I raised would fix the issue of
collisions
> from a DLL that loads after the cygwin DLL, occupying space that
cygwin
> desperately wants to use.  It would not affect the fork relocation
issue.

(This is where the penny dropped)... because that's different right! :].

And the short sumamry is:
*Collision of dlls into the cygwin heap space (immediately after
cygwin1.dll's address space) breaks fork (can't copy the heap).
*Relocation of cygwin1.dll's address space between parent and child
breaks fork (all variable references are now wrong, even for statically
allocated variables.

Rob