RE: cron / crontab different permissions

Last night on the train from Warwick to London, I got it sussed.

I installed the cron service as usual:
1	cygrunsrv -I cron -p /usr/sbin/cron.exe -a -D -o -e "CYGWIN=ntsec
tty"

I'm not sure if the environment variable is important here because I then
make sure CYGWIN is set to tty:
2	export CYGWIN=tty

Only then when I start cron (don't run crontab) can cron create the
directories (/var/cron & /var/cron/tabs) with the correct permissions:
3	cygrunsrv -S cron

When CYGWIN=ntsec and I try to start the cron service, it fails to create
/var/cron & /var/cron/tabs.

The annoying thing is I liked running in ntsec mode as chmod worked {shrug}.
Also you need tty if your running rsync from NT to NT, but interesting
enough I found ntsec was better at running rsync from NT to AIX
{double-shrug} :)

I've never managed to get "CYGWIN=ntsec tty" working, I better read all the
bumff again.

cheers
dan

Dan Gardner