Re: FAQ URLs (Was: Where are instructions for contributing package to cygwin?)

David Starks-Browning wrote:

> On Sunday 23 Sep 01, Charles Wilson writes:
>
>>4. As far as the mechanics of getting a package prepared and uploaded,
>>that's kinda in flux right now; partly because we're in the processes of
>>vetting the new setup...but for some pointers, take a look here:
>>
>>http://www.cygwin.com/faq/faq.html#SEC83
>>

> Until such time as I can figure out how to avoid it, it's better not
> to refer to FAQ entries this way.  These change over time as the FAQ
> gets updated.  It's perhaps a bit more work, but instead say something
> like:
>
> 	FAQ entry "How do I contribute a package?"
>
> It has the added benefit of forcing people to read the TOC, which
> might prove educational itself.

Will do.  BTW, many FAQs address this issue as follows:

1) number questions in small groups -- e.g "FAQ_2_1_4", "FAQ_2_1_5",
etc, according to the TOC structure.  (e.g. Chapter 2, Section 1, FAQ 4
or 5). Don't number all FAQs sequentially. (e.g. 001 to 094 spanning 7
chapters and 21 sections)

2) When adding new FAQs, always add at the end of a section

3) When adding new sections, always insert at the end of a chapter

4) New chapters always go at the end of the document

5) When removing a FAQ, leave a placeholder:

FAQ 2.1.2:
   This entry intentionally left blank.

That way, old FAQ references never change.  The sed tutorial/faq works
this way.

--Chuck