Re: Some generalized advice needed

Are you running mkgroup -l > /etc/group
or mkgroup -d > /etc/group?

The documentation/faq has good info on the
usage of mkpasswd and mkgroup.

The location of your home directory is up to you,
and you should be okay as long as you keep it
consistent. You might want to look at a construct like

HOME= c:/path-to-home-dir/$USER

where USER is set to whatever user you are, whether it
be admin or jordan. This has the side effect of letting
you know who cygwin thinks you are, in case it gets confused.

HTH,
Peter

Jordan Halsey wrote:

> Hello, I am relativly new to cygwin but I am beginning to feel comfortable
> in the console window as well as as I have a good idea where all the setup
> files are and what not.
>
> Mainly my question is the best methadology for creating a working
> environment, I am not a programmer or a sys admin (trying).  Primarily I use
> Maya and Shake and prman and what I  would like to do is set up my machine
> for optimum effeciency so as I learn to program my development environment
> is at least correct.
>
> I would like to set up 1 home directory that would store all my various
> settings, prefs and scripts which right now is under the WinNt/profiles is
> it more advisable to do this in c:/cygwin/home in this directory all I have
> is a folder called administrator which is empty ?
>
> My home directory is set to c:/temp should this be HOME=C:/cygwin/home ?
>
> I have two profiles set in NT administrator and jordan, yet when I run
>
> Mkgroup > etc/group
>
> It seems only the default groups are created and jordan is nowhere.
>
> Thanks for any help
>
> --
> Jordan Halsey
> maya|shake|prman|eias|formZ|ae