Re: vim 6.0 & funny ^M

On Fri, Sep 28, 2001 at 11:55:08AM -0700, Alex Tang wrote:
> Hmmm...i'm not sure what's going on. If you save your .vimrc file as dos or
> unix mode, VIM >should< be fine with it.  I've had my .vimrc file set both ways

Nope.  Sorry, I forgot to mention that in my announcement.  I discussed
that with Bram Molenaar, the creator of Vim.

Basically the vim script files are not evaluated whether they are unix
or dos files as it's done for files loaded for editing.  That detection
would be ambiguos due to commands which could end with ^M.  For that
reason a .vimrc file could get wrongly identified as dos file and
commands would get messed up.

Bram decided not to change that behaviour.  I'm following Bram's
decision and will not add Cygwin hacks to the official sources if
it's not absolutely necessary.

Please change your vim script files (as .vimrc) to unix line endings.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.