From: Charles Wilson [mailto:cwilson@ece.gatech.edu]
Sent: Saturday, September 29, 2001 2:52 PM
To: Asbenson, Lyndell L
Cc: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'
Subject: Re: DLL Win 2000

Asbenson, Lyndell L wrote:

> I have national instruments drivers for a GPIB device and all that they
> offer
> is DLLs and Language interfaces for Borland C++ or Microsoft C++. I have
> also
> look at your DLL conversion process 5 steeps. Is there any tool that will
> convert a DLL 32 bit to a static library where I could use this in the
> Cygwin
> environment?

Sort of.  You can create an gcc-style import library for the DLL (search
for help/docu on 'dlltool' for more information).  This import lib will
work with both cygwin's gcc and with mingw's gcc.

However, the odds are that any code you write must be compiled with the
'gcc -mno-cygwin' option of cygwin's compiler, or you should just use
the mingw compiler.  The reason for this is that the NI DLL *probably*
was built to depend on msvcrt.dll, not cygwin1.dll.  Since both of these
provide runtime services - and you can only have one runtime lib for a
given app - your app will also have to be linked against msvcrt.dll (not
cygwin1.dll)  Ergo, -mno-cygwin (or just use mingw comiler, not cygwin
compiler).  You can check the dependencies of your NI DLL thus:
  cygcheck my_ni_dll.dll

--Chuck