Re: getcwd() problem

Hi!

Friday, 05 October, 2001 Yasushi Higuchi yzone@mail.raidway.ne.jp wrote:

YH> I found a problem in the getcwd() function in recent snapshot.

[...]
>>    char *cwd = getcwd(NULL, 256);
[...]

Single Unix Specification v2 says that "If buf is a null pointer, the
behaviour of getcwd() is undefined."

YH> Reference: FreeBSD manpages
>>STANDARDS
>>The getcwd() function conforms to ISO 9899: 1990 (``ISO C''). The ability
>>to specify a NULL pointer and have getcwd() allocate memory as necessary
>>is an extension.

cygwin doesn't support this extension. it's arguable whether it should
be added or not. code that implicitly allocates (on doesn't allocate,
depending in parameters) memory on heap is a source of potential
memory leaks.