Re: Blindly running setup.exe to update Cygwin

[back on list]

Fergus on Linux wrote:

>>That should not happen.  Do you still have the setup.log file from that
>>run of setup.exe, or have you already run setup again since then?  Also,
>>send you /etc/setup/installed.db file, please.
>>

> Thank you very much for your kind interest.
>
> I enclose as attachments to this email both the files setup.log and
> installed.db as they are after a single run of setup.exe as a new user
> installing Cygwin for the first time from the network.
>
> By a "broken" vim I mean [at least] (a) strange lack of information about
> mode: "INSERT" not shown at bottom of screen even when in insert mode; (b)
> first use of <UpArrow> seems equivalent to <Esc>; (c) loss of syntax
> colours. I have checked that TERM=cygwin: it does.

Okay, this is not what I thought you were talking about.  I thought
"broken" vim meant a popup window that said "Can't find
cygncurses5.dll", and vim wasn't runnable at all.  *THAT'S* the thread
you refered to.

Your vim "works" -- it just doesn't work like the the old 5.7 version
did.  Well, that has nothing to do with libncurses -- I'm sorry I misled
you. This is probably due to massive internal changes in vim, as it went
from version 5 to version 6 (note that alpha and beta test phases of
vim6 took over a year! so there's bound to be lots of changes).

I think you're going to have to take this up on the vim mailing list; it
is doubtful that these changes are due to anything cygwin specific.

> PS. I suppose the problem could lie with vim v.6 or term* rather than the
> installation procedure?

I don't think it's the terminfo database.  Very little changed therein
in the recent update.

> (There seem to be several problems with vim reported
> recently.)

Most of the recent reports were much more serious: "vim won't start" or
"missing DLL".  Your report is "merely" a fit-and-finish issue.

> Or with me! Such a bother: I've observed regular if infrequent
> complaints about setup.exe on the mailing list, and always dismissed them as
> symptoms of user-brain/-digit dysfunction rather than any inherent fault in
> setup.exe. Now I'm in the same situation myself. Thanks again for your
> response.

Again, I think that setup.exe is not the culprit in your case --
especially as your later private email showed no improvement in these
fit-and-finish issues after reinstalling libncurses5.

Suggestion: assume that the problem is your .vimrc, and begin debugging
from there.  I wonder if old .vimrc's are somehow incompatible (older
vim's supported keywords that newer vim's do not?  Therefore if you use
one of those "bad" keywords you have problems, but since I (by luck)
avoid them -- whatever they are -- I don't see your problems?)

Anyway, this looks like a vim issue, not cygwin nor setup nor ncurses.

--Chuck