Re: Perl 5.7.2

"Gerrit P. Haase" wrote:

> > John Peacock schrieb am 2001-10-08 9:30:
>
> >"Gerrit P. Haase" wrote:
> >>
> >> I don't think that it is a good idea to bundle an 'unstable' development
> >> version.  Perl 5.8 will be released soon and then it will be 'stable'.
> >> We should wait until 5.8.
> >>

> >It is especially inappropriate to include Perl 5.7.2 (or 5.8.0) until
> >it will build/test without core dumps when Perl is built for debugging.
> >See
> >
> > http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2001-10/msg00067.html
> >
> >for more details.  By downgrading to CygWin 1.3.2-2, I was able to
> >get around the problems with gdb refusing to break at statements, but
> >I am still getting cores for roughly a third of the overall tests
> >during the perl_destruct phase.  I am unable to replicate it while
> >running under gdb, so I am at a loss where to go next.  I will post
> >another message with more details.
>
> Howdy,
>
> I've not seen this posting.  I think I should try to build
> bleadperl with debugging again.
> Have you tried with a recent snapshot cygwin1.dll or CVS version?

I have not, and I am not sure when I will have time to do so.  I'll
grab a recent snapshot and try and rebuild.

There are two issues:

1) CygWin 1.3.3 breaks gdb under Win2K (cannot set breakpoints);
2) something recently caused CygWin and bleadPerl to not play nicely
during destruction.

I need problem 1 fixed before I can work on 2.  I was building
debugging Perl's during August that I believe were testing 100%
(before some recent patches which caused Time::Hires and taint
failures).

John

--
John Peacock