Stale pid files.

Is there any way to remove stale pid files during system boot?

The NT 4.0 seems to have had a spontaneous reboot during the
weekend, so postgresql wasn't shut down properly.  This leaves a
stale pid file, and I don't know of a way to automaticly remove
it.  Postgresql refused to start until I removed that pid file.

I see two solutions to fix this problem:
- Add some code to postgresql to better detect if an other
  instance is running.
- Start some script/batch file during boot that removes the pid
  file.

Is their a way to run a script during boot that gets started
before the service(s) get started?  I know there is something as
"run once", but I have no idea how to add something to this, and
when it exactly runs.

Changing postgresql to properly detect if on that pid there is an
instance of postgres running, and it's not his own pid, might do
the trick too.  I just have no idea how to get the name of that
program, and should probably take a look at ps.

Kurt