Re: Inopportune Crash

On Monday 15 Oct 01, Randall R Schulz writes:
> Steven,
>
> A new Vim came along at my preferred mirror today, so I used that as the
> opportunity to try your solution. I downloaded the Vim package (I always
> download and then install and keep all the packages mirrored locally),

If you choose "Install from Internet" then everything is already
mirrored locally.  Setup copies everything to your "Local Package
Directory" and leaves it there for you to clean up (or not).

> re-ran the installer in "Install from Local Directory" mode and set all the
> packages listed as requiring installation to "Skip" except the new Vim
> package. After installing just the new Vim and re-running the installer in
> "Install from Local Directory" mode again, it still lists every package
> (except Vim, of course) as requiring installation.

What did you expect?  Choosing "skip" does not make setup think they
are up to date.  You'll always have to "skip" them.

> By the way, my setup.ini, setup.log and setup.log.full files were not
> missing. In fact, I looked at them and they're not obviously malformed or
> truncated.

setup.log and setup.log.full are just logs, I don't think they would
confuse setup if they were missing or corrupt.

Without studying the source code, and just looking at my own
/etc/setup directory, it sounds like your 'installed.db' file is
missing or corrupt.  (Rather, was missing until you installed vim, now
probably just contains vim.)

> Any other ideas?
>
> I suppose I'll just have to go ahead re-install everything and hope nothing
> is perturbed.

It should not do any harm to re-install everything, except to waste time.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
David