Re: Problems with _inpw / STATUS_PRIVILEGED_INSTRUCTION

Only some of the assembler isntructions
are allowed to be used in RING3 (User mode)
on Windows platforms - these which are not
privileged instructions. Privileged instructions
are allowed in RING0 (Kernel mode) only.

This is not a cygwin issue - it's windows. To
work the situation out, you should see how to
contact the driver of the device you're trying
to control and request the information from
it. Check MSDN for CreateFile.