Process Forking

When I use "mozilla.exe &" to start mozilla or any other process,
another bash.exe process is spawned too. The documentation seems to
indicate that this extra bash process should terminate before the
mozilla process has finished.

Is this correct or should there be an extra bash process for every
process that I start using the &?

If so then it is a bit annoying. I am running win2k.

Jonathan