Re: Anyone using cygwin=title ?

On Wed, Oct 31, 2001 at 09:20:18AM +0100, Dr. Volker Zell wrote:

>    Christopher> Would there be any objections to removing the "CYGWIN=title" kludge?
>    Christopher> As has been discussed in this mailing list, you can change the title
>    Christopher> using escape sequences, which gives you, IMO, much more control over what
>    Christopher> is displayed than what is available from CYGWIN=title.
>
>    Christopher> So, any objections to my removing this kludge from cygwin1.dll?
>
>I'm using the following window configuration since b18-times. I start an rxvt
>(X-version) terminal from inside my cygwin.bat)
>
>rxvt -title %USERDOMAIN%\%USERNAME%@%COMPUTERNAME% -bg AntiqueWhite -fn 6x13 -geometry 166x48+0+20 -menu terminal -sl 2000

>| |   Running program name             | | |   <- cmd window with running program name
>|__________________________________________|   <- Minimal height of 1 row
>| |   Rxvt Title                       | | |   <- rxvt window with customised title
>--------------------------------------------      (X version of rxvt)
>|                                          |
>|                                          |
>|                                          |
>|                                          |
>|                                          |
>|                                          |
>|                                          |
>|                                          |
>|                                          |

>So when running a program which spawns other programs in the rxvt window, I can see the
>name of the just running program in the title row of the cmd window.
>I always liked this behaviour. But since not long ago (I think it happened in the
>cygwin-1.3 timeframe), this behaviour has changed. Now I only see the name of the rxvt
>executable in the cmd window.

So, if I understand you correctly, the sequence of events went like this:

Me: "I'd like to remove CYGWIN=title.  I don't like it."

You: "Please fix it.  I use it."

Well, I guess that means that I won't remove it but I am really not interested in fixing
bugs in this.  I think it is a total kludge.

Maybe someone else will investigate, however.

cgf