Re: Re[2]: setup testers wanted

On 2 Nov 2001 at 14:57, the Illustrious Robert Collins wrote:

> On Fri, 2001-11-02 at 12:50, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 02, 2001 at 12:09:34PM +1100, Robert Collins wrote:
> > >How about we get rid of either 'skip' or 'keep' - they are the same
> > >AFAIK.
> >
> > We had this discussion in cygwin-developers.  They are subtly
> > different. One implies that the package exists on disk and you'll be
> > keeping it. The other implies that you will not be installing the
> > package.
>
> Sure, but will users grok this?

	Nope.  Not the naive newbie, that is for sure.  Especially considering the subtlties weren't
able to be easily addressed when cgf replied.

> Hmm, maybe we shouldn't show skip for non installed packages?

	Well, I have always assumed (since setup first existed) that when I select "skip", I am
saying, "don't do anything with that particular package, just leave it exactly as it is on my hard
drive."

	This is especially critical if I have been working with cygwin source code for some reason or
another and do not want some portion of my source code disturbed.

	Paul G.