fileutils, sh-utils fail to compile due to _tzname, _LIBC undefined

I am trying to compile fileutils and sh-utils, and I am getting an error-

gcc  -g -O2   -o dir  ls.o ls-dir.o ../lib/libfetish.a  -lintl
../lib/libfetish.a(strftime.o): In function `strftime_copytm':
/cygdrive/d/f-comp/fileutils-4.1-1/build/lib/../../lib/strftime.c:1270:
undefined reference to `_tzname'

I read a bunch of messages in the archives, and one about "You must
declare tzname as __attribute__((dllimport)) or __declspec(dllimport),
or else it won't link" but I don't know how or where to do this (I
haven't made any changes to the source yet, and wanted to verify that it
would compile OOTB first).

I can't get "date %z" or "date %Z" to work on the command line in a bash
shell, it just says "date: invalid date `%Z'". I can't seem to set the
date with a timezone- the man page doesn't provide the format, and "info
date" tells me "info: dir: No such file or directory" (I haven't used
info before). My attempts to do "date --set=Mon Nov 5 17:10:49 2001 EST"
managed to change the date to yesterday, 11pm. My NT clock says that my
timezone is GMT -0500 Eastern Time.

There is an #ifdef _LIBC at the beginning of strftime.c that ends up
defining _tzname, but I don't think _LIBC is defined, and I can't find
where it would be defined. I tried removing the #ifdef and forcing
_tzname to get defined, but that gave many more errors.

I hope there is something big that I am missing, like an important
include file that defines _LIBC and I just didn't pick it up in the
configure.

TIA,
Peter

Your mouse has moved.