Re: inetd on win95

On Wed, Nov 07, 2001 at 11:45:32AM +0100, raphi.net@voila.fr wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am using the latest version of Cygwin on Windows95. I have been trying to use inetd, but without success.
> Whenever I try to connect from the second machine (which runs on Linux Mandrake), I get disconnected. Running inetd with the -d option gives the following diagnostic:
>
> someone wants telnet
> accept, ctrl 3
> + Closing from 20
> 511955 execl /usr/sbin/in.telnetd
> 511955 reaped, status 0x100
>
> Similar messages do happen with other services such as rsh and rexec.
> My /etc/hosts.allow file contains the only line ALL:ALL
> I have followed the proper instruction on how to create the /etc/passwd file, and I am using the default inetd.conf file.
> I do have the login package installed.
>
> Any idea?
> Has anyone been able to run inetd properly on win95?

Sorry, I neither can find the mails nor any FAQ about that though
I'm sure I have already written about that problem.  Some 95 systems
have weird problems with their Winsock implementation.  And Winsock2
is not integral part of 95.  But you can download a Winsock2 for 95
at Microsoft:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows95/downloads/contents/wuadmintools/s_wunetworkingtools/w95sockets2/

Please, try this.  Hopefully it solves your problem.  If not, I can
only suggest upgrading to XP.  95 is actually _that_ crappy.  Even
upgrading to 98 would be a help.

Or Linux ;-).

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.