Re: Problems

Hi folks,

On 7 Nov 2001 at 10:32, the Illustrious Mais, Dale wrote:

> I have tried to install cygwin on both an NT and Win98 machine and while
> it seems to install OK, when I try to open all I get is a fraction of a
> second appearance of a DOS window that disappears. I cannot get beyond
> this "flash". Any thoughts?

	Lot of them.  Astrophysics was a major of mine in early college days
when a formal Computer Science curriculum had yet to be started at my
college.  Ended up majoring in Astrophysics while minoring in a
personal focus on Computer Science.

	At any rate, we need to establish what your assumptions currently are.

	Here are the basic Cygwin installation assumptions:

	You were wanting some sort of development environment to work in.
	You used setup.exe from the cygwin website to install Cygwin.
	You allowed install to add the cygwin icon to your desktop.
	You launched Cygwin using the desktop icon installed by the Cygwin
	setup utility.

	Now, which of the above assumptions are true?  I can deduce that you
installed Cygwin because you thought it would meet your basic needs
regardless of development environment.

	DOS has little to do with Cygwin development.  It only acts as an
elemental substrata of sorts which is specifically being used to
support the use of a "Unix like shell" within, amongst other things, a
Windows based operating system (platform).

	Metaphorically, Cygwin might be considered a nebula of sorts (and yes,
it can be quite nebulous sometimes ;-)).  The DOS shell is just one
element in the metaphoric nebulas' gaseous soup.

	Now some questions:

		Are you speaking of Windows 98 or Windows NT4 when you talk about the
behaviour you noted above?  (This is how I establish the basis of a
theory where Cygwin is concerned).

	From here the number of causes multiplies, so we need to know which OS
you are actually using.

	Thanks,