What does setup.exe do with a DOS console?

This is NOT the usual "change the PIF file, stupid" question.  The shortcuts I use to _run_ Cygwin are set to suggest MSDOS mode as necessary.  This happens only during the setup.exe process.

When I run setup.exe from the link at cygwin.com, right before the end of the installation it very rapidly pops up an msdos console which vanishes immediately, then the final OK dialog appears.

This happens, at any rate, on the Win95 machine I use at work.  On the Win98 machine at home, I get the "This program uses MSDOS mode" prompt at that point, which I of course cancel out of.  So am I missing out on something that is supposed to happen at this point?  I still get the final "Installation complete" OK dialog.

-Greg H.