utime Bug?

I'm a new cygwin user and a fairly lame C programmer.
However, I think I've discovered a bug.  When I find
things like this, I usually assume it's my fault.
But, this seems to be at least inconsistent with other
platforms.

When you use utime to set the actime to 0 (the epoch),
stat will show actime as being whatever modtime is set
to for that file.  If you set it to anything else (1,
for example), actime is reflected accurately by stat.

Am I off base?  The same code on my Debian box returns
the epoc for atime (instead of the modtime value).

Does this make sense?

Thanks in advance,
Chad