Re: new site for my ports is up

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stipe Tolj" <tolj@wapme-systems.de>
> Apache goes by default to /usr/local/apache and should reside there
> for a cygwin based binary package that I'm currently preparing :))

Why should apache go to /usr/local/apache? Name one redhat/suse/debian
style amanaged linux distribution that puts apache there! The configure
script for _any_ package will need parameters given to it when building
a package to be included in cygwin.

Until now, no-one as raised the issue of changing _our_ standard, which
is that setup.exe installed software installs into / and /usr, not into
/usr/local. And I do not think we should change that. I don't believe
that the users will be served by us installing into /usr/local.

Rob

P.S. for reference:

Here's what some package managers do:
1) rpm. A package can install it's files anywhere and still be an rpm.
There is no rhyme or reason other than the packagers decision.
Distributors put all their generated rpm's into / and /usr, whilst
vendors creating rpms make their own choice.
2) deb. A package _always_ installs into / and /usr, and _never_ touches
/usr/local. /usr/local is reserved for user built and fiddled software,
and /usr for package-manager installed software. Thus coping out your
/home and /usr/local trees is all you need to do to preserve your
personal files.
3) ports. (OpenBSD specifically). The default install of the system
includes the kitchen sink, and the ports are all installed into
/usr/local, along with user compiled software.