Re: How to link against .lib files

At 10:27 AM 11/22/2001, Tianhong Chen wrote:
>Hi, all,
>
>I have a question about how to link against .lib files
>using cygwin tools.  I read the relevant section in
>the FAQ and also searched the mailing list archive,
>but didn't get the answer.
>
>In the FAQ,  it mentioned the linker: LINK.EXE, what
>if
>I have only LD from GNU binutiles package?
>
>Could the instructions be more elaborated.  The
>following is what I couldn't understand:
>1) Build a C file == Edit a C file?
>2) Build a Dummy LibMain: what should be in LibMain
>3) What is a .def file?
>4) Is it possible to use "LD" instead of "LINKER.EXE"
>
>It'll be really appreciated for any answers or points
>of references to this question.

This FAQ is a bit dated and slanted toward the use of MSVC's LINK
utility.  For many MSVC .lib files, you can just list them as objects
when invoking gcc/g++.  Usually, you can substitute the DLL rather than
the .lib too (presumably you would do this only if you don't have a
.lib).  If the symbols in the lib/DLL are available, you're done.  If
not, you need to follow the FAQ and learn about how MSVC creates DLLs
and exposes the internal functions (see msdn.microsoft.com).