Shell process identification

I want to cron/at a bash script but have it check to see if another instance of the script is already running.

I did a ps -Wl and a ps -ef while I had the script running and while I saw the /usr/bin/bash executables (my current shell and the shell I wanted to detect) they did not contain enough information to differentiate between the two shells.

Any ideas of how I can determine this? I thought of using a temp file, but if the script terminates abnormally it might not cleanup it's files, causing the next cron job to not run, thinking that the other script is still running.

Basically I'm trying to introduce some error recovery into a script. So that if it terminates, another instance will be started.